Well, I’m going to be in New Zealand for the Triple J Hottest 100 this year (well, next year – ye ken well wha’ a mean) but that’s not going to prevent me from voting!
So here we go, in no particular order my top ten tracks of the year…
* Lanu/Megan Washington – Beautiful Trash – I’m actually not much of a fan of the album version, just this remix. On while on the subject of Megan Washington, what was she wearing on the Spicks and Specks finale? She looked like a half drowned transvestite.
* Seeker Lover Keeper – Even Though I’m A Woman – I rather suspect that guy is miming…
* Luke Million – Arnold – Just about the funniest song of the year, even if the official video is like some kind of gay porn (and what’s with the fart noises?).
* Noah and the Whale – Waiting for my chance to come – Noah and the Whale have been doing some fantastic work this year. This is my current favourite from them.
* Florence & The Machine – Shake It Out – Quite possibly the most epic song on the year.
* Illy – Cigarettes – Can’t have the Hottest 100 without some Aussie Hip Hop.
* Crystal Fighters – At Home – I had terrible trouble tracking this one down because I thought it was Architecture in Helsinki.
* Yuksek – On A Train – Wouldn’t we all rather be on a train?
* The Vaccines – Norgaard – Very catchy. The lyrics are a bit creepy though, and is it really flattering to tell a girl she has cheeks like a great dane?
* Architecture In Helsinki – Escapee – Great song but what has Kellie done to her hair?
Songs that just missed the cut…
* The Wombats – Techno Fan – Just a really good, enjoyable pop-rock song.
* CSS – Hits Me Like A Rock – Catchy, cheery and will neatly style your webpage.
* Stanton Warriors – Get Up – Good, old fashioned electronica. Or dance. Or something like that.
* Jay-Z & Kanye West – No Church In The Wild – Tries so hard to be epic that it goes beyond epic into silly, and then just edges back into epic from the other side. And it sounds kind of like Thriller crossed with Kashmir.
* Bluejuice – Act Yr Age – Bluejuice doing what they do best, complete with distrubingly hilarious video clip.
And my prediction for number one? Well, if Somebody That I Used To Know doesn’t get into the top five at least I’ll be very surprised.
That’s it. Merry Christmas y’all!