Well it’s that time of the year again when I desperately try to face down the reality of my own aging by voting in the Triple J Hottest 100. The process was actually fairly easy this year – in fact the only problem I faced was filling in two slots left over once I’d picked out my favourite songs. That’s never happened before, obviously music is getting more and more crap as time wears on (No! It’s not because I’m becoming old and irrelevant! Honestly! 🙂
So my top ten picks for this year (in alphabetical order of artist) are…
- Ben Harper And Relentless 7 – Under Pressure (Like A Version) – Brilliant cover.
- Bluejuice – Broken Leg – Official theme of the 1985 world skip-rope championship!
- John Butler Trio – One Way Road – Rockin’ hippie music.
- Kid Sam – We’re Mostly Made Of Water – Dark, spooky and not on YouTube.
- Lady Sovereign – So Human – Messing with the Cure should be blasphemy, but I can’t help liking this 🙂
- Lisa Mitchell – Coin Laundry – The funny thing is I find her voice annoying in everything else she sings, but it seems to work on this song.
- Metric – Gimme Sympathy – Canadian pop-rock with an impressive single continuous shot video.
- Mos Def – Auditorium – Ford Prefect raps.
- Royksopp – The Girl And The Robot (Ft. Robyn) – Scandinavian electro epic.
- Very Best, The – Warm Heart Of Africa – Cheery music from Malawi.
Two songs that almost (but not quite) got into the final two slots…
A few more notable tracks from the year…
- Simian Mobile Disco – Audacity Of Huge (Ft. Chris Keating)
- Weezer – (If You’re Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To
- Muse – Uprising
- Seth Sentry – The Waitress Song
- Flight Of The Conchords – Hurt Feelings
- Jamie T – Sticks ‘N’ Stones
- K-Os – I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman
And that’s your lot!