As Ali pointed out this morning the Leicester Tigers are a rugby team, not a football (ie: soccer) team. I could make the point that if I was from New South Wales or Queensland I’d be perfectly correct in calling them a football team, but I’m not, hence this correction.
Hmmm, let’s see, what does everyone mean when they say football? Here’s a partial list compiled from a quick web search…
- United Kingdom: Soccer
- United States: Gridiron
- Canada: Canadian Football or Gridiron
- Australia (WA,SA,VIC): Australian Rules Football
- Australia (QLD,NSW): Rugby League or Rugby Union
- New Zealand: Rugby Union
- Republic of Ireland: Gaelic Football or Soccer
- South Africa: Soccer
- Almost everywhere else: Soccer
Wonder if there’s any I’ve missed out?