Some facts about the new Pope…
- The first non-European Pope in 1,272 years
- The first Pope from the Americas
- The first Pope from the Southern Hemisphere
- The first Latin-American Pope
- The first Jesuit Pope (which must be sending the conspiracy theorists into a state of nervous collapse…)
- Is not named Peter (so much for Saint Malachy then…)
- Has had some surprisingly decent things to say about the divide between rich and poor
- Has said all the expected ultra-conservative things about women, homosexuality, contraception and abortion
- May have been involved with kidnappings and other nefarious acts by the Argentinian Government
- Isn’t likely to be terribly different to any other Pope ever
2 thoughts on “Popery”
The main commentary in our house was around the name choice – Francis of Assisi. The cats have taken this as a sign that he is the first ‘pro-cat’ pope.
Well, I dunno. There have been quite a few Leos, Sylvesters and Felixes – one would expect them to be fairly cat friendly Pontifs.