It is the nature of my defective brain that rather than preparing me for real world challenges such as paying bills on time, planning meals or having clean clothes to wear it prefers to plot out detailed plans for unlikely scenarios such as how to survive if every other human being vanished from the Earth for a year, what kind of palace to construct should I suddenly have the opportunity to construct a palace, or what I’d podcast about on finding myself stranded on a space station located at Lagrange Point 4 that nonetheless has excellent wi-fi.
As such I have spent much of the last week considering what tracks I would put on a CD to send back in time to the year 1990 to astonish, shock and confuse the inhabitants of that far off epoch. Having finalised said playlist, I happily present it here to assist in diagnosing whatever the hell is wrong with me (I’d put my money on maladaptive daydreaming, no matter what the DSM-5 may think!).
- What you Waiting For – Gwen Steffani
- Superfast Jellyfish – Gorillaz feat. Gruff Rhys & De La Soul
- Kill vs Maim – Grimes
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Lemon Demon
- We Appreciate Power – Grimes feat. HANNA
- Hey Ya! – OutKast
- Hung Up – Madonna
- Up All Night – Alex Clare
- Alligator – Of Monsters and Men
- Moskau – Rammstein
- nostalgic (luvsik) – renforshort
- Bangarang – Skrillex feat. Sirah
- Flesh Without Blood – Grimes
- Deutschland – Rammstein
- Super Hey Ya – Lemon Demon
So there we have it. A bit heavy on the Grimes perhaps, but who am I to deny the 90s her talent? Also I think it’s important that the 90s be warned about Skrillex – only YOU can stop dubstep!
(Actually I quite like a bit of dubstep)
Enjoy, or not, as the mood takes you.